Time: April 19, 2010 from 9am to 11am
Location: Encanto Park - Amp Island
Street: 15th Avenue & Encanto Blvd
City/Town: Phoenix, AZ
Event Type: volunteer, day, earth, encanto, park
Organized By: City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation + Partners
Latest Activity: Apr 19, 2010
Encanto Earth Day EVENT INFO
• Event is on Thursday 4/22/10 at Encanto Park (Amphitheater Island area) *Parking available in the large lot off of Encanto Blvd.
• Volunteers will arrive by 9am – The following groups will be providing volunteers for the event
o Creighton Elementary Builders Club (5th & 6th Graders)
o Champion Charter Jr. High Athletes (7th & 8th Graders)
o St. Mary’s High School Student Council (Teens)
o Phoenix College military branch, Hands on Greater Phoenix, Keep Phoenix Beautiful (adults)
• 9am Park staff will introduce Mayor Gordon – to speak on importance of trees and shade
• 9:15am Park staff will introduce Vice Mayor Nowakowski – to speak on importance of volunteerism
• 9:30am-10:30am Groups will rotate through 4 fifteen minute tree clinics.
o How to Select a tree – sponsored by Deserito Verde
o How to Plant a tree – sponsored by Arizona Community Tree Council
o How to Maintain a tree – sponsored by Western Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture
o City of Phoenix Tree and Shade Masterplan – presented by Ken Vonderscher
• 10:30am-12pm All volunteers will then assist staff in planting (40) trees in the park.
• We will wrap up at 12pm with a volunteer appreciation raffle and refreshments.